Zorton XP/Vista/Win 7/Win 8 Antivirus 2014 Description
Zorton Antivirus 2014 also known as Zorton Multirogue 2014, is a fake anti-virus program that can disguise itself depending on the infected computer's operating system. Zorton Antivirus 2014 will change its name to match the victim's operating system, making it more likely that computer users will believe Zorton XP/Vista/Win 7/Win 8 Antivirus 2014's claim to be a real security application. If the infected machine is executing Windows 7, then Zorton Antivirus 2014 will name itself 'Zorton Win 7 Antivirus 2014', while a computer running Windows XP will be infected by a fake anti-virus named 'Zorton XP Antivirus 2014', or similar. The fact is that Zorton Antivirus 2014 is part of a well-known hoax that has variants going back nearly a decade. Zorton Antivirus 2014 belongs to a large family of rogue security software known as FakeRean or Braviax.
How Zorton Antivirus 2014 Misleading Tactic Works
The main purpose of Zorton Antivirus 2014 is to make computer users believe that Zorton Antivirus 2014 is a real anti-virus program. To do this, Zorton Antivirus 2014 will use the following tactic:
- Zorton Antivirus 2014 will usually enter a computer using threat distribution methods, such as being included as an attachment in a spam email message or being inserted into the infected computer using an attack Website coupled with an exploit kit.
- Once Zorton Antivirus 2014 has infected the victim's computer, this rogue security program makes harmful changes that allow Zorton Antivirus 2014 to run automatically and interfere with the affected computer's normal operations.
- The crucial step of the tactic happens next: Zorton Antivirus 2014 will try to make the victim believe that the affected PC is severely infected with threats. To do this, Zorton Antivirus 2014 will display numerous fake system scans, multiple alarming error messages and cause other symptoms such as Web browser redirects or performance problems.
- If computer users try to use Zorton Antivirus 2014 to remove these supposed threat infections, Zorton Antivirus 2014 will display additional error messages urging the victim to 'register' Zorton Antivirus 2014 by paying a substantial amount for this fake security program.
Zorton Antivirus 2014 is not a Reliable Anti-Virus Product
Since Zorton Antivirus 2014 is not a real security program, computer users should ignore all of its messages and refrain from paying any amount. The fact is that Zorton Antivirus 2014 does not have the capability of detecting or deleting threats because Zorton Antivirus 2014 is a threat infection itself. Problems that may be associated with Zorton Antivirus 2014 and similar fake anti-virus program include:
- Zorton Antivirus 2014 may cause significant performance issues, such as crashing and slowing down of the affected computer.
- Zorton Antivirus 2014 may prevent infected computers from connecting to the Internet properly and accessing certain Websites.
- Zorton Antivirus 2014 will block certain applications, causing the infected computer to display error messages when the computer user tries to access them.
- Zorton Antivirus 2014 has been known to disable certain Windows security features that can help deal with threats, such as the Windows Registry Editor, System Restore and the Windows Task Manager.
- Zorton Antivirus 2014 may prevent legitimate security software from running properly, often causing it to crash or preventing computer users from running it entirely.
Some rogue security programs similar to Zorton Antivirus 2014 include Windows Antivirus 2008, Vista Antivirus 2008, PC Clean Pro, Antivirus Pro 2009, AntiSpy Safeguard, ThinkPoint, Spyware Protection 2010, Internet Antivirus 2011, Palladium Pro, XP Anti-Virus 2011, CleanThis, XP Home Security 2012, Windows Clear Problems, XP Security 2012, Antivirus PRO 2015.
File System Details
|#||File Name||Size||MD5||Detection Count|
This article is provided "as is" and to be used for educational information purposes only. By following any instructions on this article, you agree to be bound by the disclaimer. We make no guarantees that this article will help you completely remove the malware threats on your computer. Spyware changes regularly; therefore, it is difficult to fully clean an infected machine through manual means.