Printers are notorious for refusing to do their job whenever the user needs it the most. Luckily, if your printer is displaying the Printer Driver is Unavailable' error, then there are a couple of easy solutions that could be able to fix the problem. This particular error is most likely caused by a corrupted driver file or driver incompatibility.
Update the drivers for your printer
There are two methods to update the drivers for your specific printer model. The first one involves the user going to the official site of their printer's manufacturer, finding the latest available driver package for their model, downloading, and then installing it. It is a bit more time-consuming and many users might instead prefer to let Windows 10 do all the work.
- Type device manager into the search field on the Taskbar.
- Open the top result.
- Locate the malfunctioning printer within the Device Manager window. Usually, devices experiencing issues will have a yellow exclamation mark next to their name.
- Right-click the printer.
- Select 'Update Driver Software' from the available options.
- You will be presented with a new window offering you two choices. Pick 'Search automatically for updated driver software' to let the OS try and find newer drivers or 'Browse my computer for driver software' if you have already downloaded a driver package from the manufacturer's website.
- Follow the on-screen instructions until the process is completed.
- You may need to restart the PC.
Update the Windows OS
If updating the drivers for the printer failed to resolve the 'Printer Driver is Unavailable' error, then your next best option is to check for any new Windows updates. The new OS updates often include bug fixes, performance optimizations, security upgrades, and fixes for older issues. To check if any Windows updates are available, follow the steps:
- Type settings into the search field on the Taskbar. Open the top result.
- In the 'Settings' window, open the 'Update & Security section.
- Click on the 'Check for updates' button and install everything available.
- Restart your computer when needed.