Home Malware Cleaner Description
Home Malware Cleaner, a fake security application, is a clone of Strong Malware Defender. Home Malware Cleaner and hundreds of similar fake security applications belonging to the FakeVimes family operate under the same principle: to fool inexperienced computer users into buying useless fake security applications. To do this, Home Malware Cleaner displays a fake system scan claiming that the victim's computer has become compromised, severely infected with a long list of malware clearly pulled from a virus encyclopedia. Home Malware Cleaner also makes changes to the Windows Registry which allow Home Malware Cleaner to spam its victims with a barrage of fake security alerts, pop-up notifications and error messages that appear to come from Windows or Microsoft Security Center itself. It is important to understand that Home Malware Cleaner has absolutely no real anti-malware capabilities. This program is designed to display false positives and to entice its victims into giving up their credit card information. Because of this, ESG security researchers energetically recommend that computer users do not give Home Malware Cleaner their credit card detail; instead, use a reliable anti-malware tool to remove any trace of Home Malware Cleaner from their computer system. If you have already disclosed your credit card information, you may still be able to dispute the charges by claiming that they were made by a highly-known online scam.
According to ESG security researchers, Home Malware Cleaner is a fairly common example of how a rogue security program operates, not at all different from well-known fake security programs like Virus Melt, Extra Antivirus, Fast Antivirus 2009, Presto TuneUp, Windows Security Suite, Windows Protection Suite, Smart Virus Eliminator, Packed.Generic.245, Volcano Security Suite, Windows Enterprise Suite, Enterprise Suite, Additional Guard, PC Live Guard, Live PC Care, Live Enterprise Suite, Security Antivirus, My Security Wall, CleanUp Antivirus, Smart Security, Windows Work Catalyst.
Recognizing Home Malware Cleaner for What It Really Is
While experienced computer users will immediately spot the Home Malware Cleaner scam, inexperienced computer users may find it difficult to differentiate Home Malware Cleaner from reliable anti-malware software. Some aspects about Home Malware Cleaner that should set off an alarm include the following:
- Home Malware Cleaner is installed against the computer user's authorization or as a result of intrusive pop-up windows.
- Home Malware Cleaner cannot be removed through normal means, reinstalling itself when Windows is rebooted or crashing during the uninstallation process.
- Home Malware Cleaner will display a long list of malware infections but will fail to provide details or solve the problems in any way even if the victim pays for a 'full version'.
- Home Malware Cleaner will affect the victim's computer in other ways, such as making it run slowly or interfering with other applications.
Do You Suspect Your PC May Be Infected with Home Malware Cleaner & Other Threats? Scan Your PC with SpyHunterSpyHunter is a powerful malware remediation and protection tool designed to help provide PC users with in-depth system security analysis, detection and removal of a wide range of threats like Home Malware Cleaner as well as a one-on-one tech support service. Download SpyHunter's FREE Malware Remover
Security Doesn't Let You Download SpyHunter or Access the Internet?Solutions: Your computer may have malware hiding in memory that prevents any program, including SpyHunter, from executing on your computer. Follow to download SpyHunter and gain access to the Internet:
- Use an alternative browser. Malware may disable your browser. If you're using IE, for example, and having problems downloading SpyHunter, you should open Firefox, Chrome or Safari browser instead.
- Use a removable media. Download SpyHunter on another clean computer, burn it to a USB flash drive, DVD/CD, or any preferred removable media, then install it on your infected computer and run SpyHunter's malware scanner.
- Start Windows in Safe Mode. If you can not access your Window's desktop, reboot your computer in "Safe Mode with Networking" and install SpyHunter in Safe Mode.
- IE Users: Disable proxy server for Internet Explorer to browse the web with Internet Explorer or update your anti-spyware program. Malware modifies your Windows settings to use a proxy server to prevent you from browsing the web with IE.
Screenshots & Other Imagery
File System Details
|#||File Name||Size||MD5||Detection Count|
|4||%CommonAppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe||N/A|
|6||%AppData%\Home Malware Cleaner\ScanDisk_.exe||N/A|
|8||%Desktop%\Home Malware Cleaner.lnk||N/A|
|9||%AppData%\Home Malware Cleaner\cookies.sqlite||N/A|
|10||%StartMenu%\Home Malware Cleaner.lnk||N/A|
|13||%AppData%\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\Home Malware Cleaner.lnk||N/A|
|15||%Programs%\Home Malware Cleaner.lnk||N/A|
|18||%AllUsersProfile%\Application Data\5c678c\Quarantine Items\||N/A|
|19||%AppData%\Home Malware Cleaner\Instructions.ini||N/A|
|20||%CommonAppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].cfg||N/A|
|21||%AppData%\Home Malware Cleaner\||N/A|
This article is provided "as is" and to be used for educational information purposes only. By following any instructions on this article, you agree to be bound by the disclaimer. We make no guarantees that this article will help you completely remove the malware threats on your PC. Spyware changes regularly; therefore, it is difficult to fully clean an infected machine through manual means.