How to Fix Windows Update Error 0x8007371b
Seeing the Error 0x8007371b message while trying to update your Windows, can be extremely stressful. This error has persisted throughout the years and through multiple Windows editions and versions. It also can affect Windows 10 users. This particular error message indicates that some update files are either missing or have become corrupted, usually the ones contained in the WinSxS folder. There are a couple of potential fixes that may address the situation but, due to the individual characteristics of each computer system, you may have to try several until you find the right one.
Run a DISM Scan
DISM stands for Deployment Image & Servicing Management and it is a built-in Windows tool that can repair corrupted system files. To initiate a DISM scan, do the following:
- Press Windows + R on your keyboard.
- In the Run dialog window, type cmd and press Ctrl + Shift + Enter on your keyboard simultaneously. This will open an elevated Command Prompt.
- In the Command Prompt window, type DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth and press Enter.
- Wait for the process to complete and then try updating Windows once more.
Run an SFC Scan
Another Windows tool that could prove useful when dealing with Error 0x8007371b is the System File Checker (SFC).
- Press the Windows + R keys.
- Type cmd in the Run dialog box and press Ctrl+Shift+Enter to start an elevated Command Prompt window.
- Type SFC /ScanNow and press Enter.
- Wait for the process to complete, restart the computer, and see if the error has been resolved.
Clear the Windows 10 Update Cache Folder
- Open the Run dialog box by pressing Windows + R on your keyboard.
- Open an elevated Command Prompt window by typing cmd in the Run box and pressing Ctrl+Shift+Enter on your keyboard.
- Type net stop wuauserv and press Enter.
- Type rd /s /q %systemroot%\SoftwareDistribution and press Enter to clear the cache folder.
- To restart the Windows Update service, type net start wuauserv and press Enter.
Reset Windows Update Components Manually
- Open Run by pressing Windows + R.
- Open elevated Command Prompt by typing cmd in the Run box and pressing Ctrl+Shift+Enter.
- Now, type the following commands in Command Prompt and press Enter after each one to execute it:
net stop wuauserv
net stop cryptSvc
net stop bits
net stop msiserver
- Type ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old and press Enter.
- Type ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 Catroot2.old and press Enter.
- Enable the stopped components by typing the following commands and pressing Enter after each one:
net start wuauserv
net start cryptSvc
net start bits
net start msiserver
- Check if Error 0x8007371b has been fixed.