CryptoLocker Ransomware Description
The CryptoLocker Trojan is a ransomware infection that encrypts the victim's files. CryptoLocker may typically be installed by another threat such as a Trojan downloader or a worm. Once CryptoLocker is installed, CryptoLocker will search for sensitive files on the victim's computer and encrypt them. Essentially, CryptoLocker takes the infected computer hostage by preventing access to any of the computer user's files. CryptoLocker then demands payment of a ransom to decrypt the infected files. CryptoLocker is quite harmful, and ESG security analysts strongly advise computer users to use an efficient, proven and updated anti-malware program to protect their computer from these types of infections.
The Outrageous Fee Asked by CryptoLocker
CryptoLocker displays an alarming message when the infected computer starts up. This message demands payment of 100 USD or Euro in order to decrypt the infected files. CryptoLocker also claims that attempting to remove CryptoLocker may result in the victim's files being locked forever. The CryptoLocker ransom message reads as follows:
'Your personal files are encrypted!
Your important files encryption produced on this computer: photos, videos, document, etc. Here is a complete list of encrypted files, and you can personally verify this…
To obtain the private key for this computer, which will automatically decrypt files, you need to pay 100 USD / 100EUR / similar amount in another currency.'
To scare inexperienced computer users so that they will not take action to remove CryptoLocker, the ransom message continues by stating the following:
'Any attempt to remove or damage this software will lead to immediate destruction of the private key server.'
Why Paying CryptoLocker's Ransom is not Going to Help Your PC
There are several reasons why you should not pay CryptoLocker's ransom. You can see below some of them:
- There is no guarantee that paying CryptoLocker's ransom will decrypt your files.
- Paying this 'fee' will support malware developers, allowing them to create additional malicious content and target other computer users.
- Taking steps to remove CryptoLocker with a legitimate security program will not actually endanger your files or prevent you from decrypting them.
In several situations, it may be needed to use an additional decryption utility to restore your files to normal, usually from an external memory device. However, the best way to restore your files is to have a back-up at hand, a good security practice for all computer users.
Do You Suspect Your PC May Be Infected with CryptoLocker Ransomware & Other Threats? Scan Your PC with SpyHunterSpyHunter is a powerful malware remediation and protection tool designed to help provide PC users with in-depth system security analysis, detection and removal of a wide range of threats like CryptoLocker Ransomware as well as a one-on-one tech support service. Download SpyHunter's FREE Malware Remover
Security Doesn't Let You Download SpyHunter or Access the Internet?Solutions: Your computer may have malware hiding in memory that prevents any program, including SpyHunter, from executing on your computer. Follow to download SpyHunter and gain access to the Internet:
- Use an alternative browser. Malware may disable your browser. If you're using IE, for example, and having problems downloading SpyHunter, you should open Firefox, Chrome or Safari browser instead.
- Use a removable media. Download SpyHunter on another clean computer, burn it to a USB flash drive, DVD/CD, or any preferred removable media, then install it on your infected computer and run SpyHunter's malware scanner.
- Start Windows in Safe Mode. If you can not access your Window's desktop, reboot your computer in "Safe Mode with Networking" and install SpyHunter in Safe Mode.
- IE Users: Disable proxy server for Internet Explorer to browse the web with Internet Explorer or update your anti-spyware program. Malware modifies your Windows settings to use a proxy server to prevent you from browsing the web with IE.
Screenshots & Other Imagery
File System Details
|#||File Name||Size||MD5||Detection Count|
|3||%WINDIR%\System32\[9 RANDOM CHARACTERS] [3 RANDOM CHARACTERS] [7 RANDOM CHARACTERS] [2 RANDOM CHARACTERS] 29.02.2016.doc.exe||354,074||132053c1f40d453bd95a253262ce588f||39|
|6||%TEMP%[5 RANDOM CHARACTERS]_[7 RANDOM CHARACTERS]_[4 RANDOM CHARACTERS].doc.exe||430,080||fd62baf8514ca7e54911819e0f724ada||18|
|7||%USERPROFILE%\??? ?????????\Downloads\[6 RANDOM CHARACTERS].doc.exe||493,568||12303bbfe7194fd4f0070cd4d1005209||8|
|8||[6 RANDOM CHARACTERS] [12 RANDOM CHARACTERS] [6 RANDOM CHARACTERS] [10 RANDOM CHARACTERS] [10 RANDOM CHARACTERS].docx.exe||545,454||acf9873c86e35b9bee0db158befe8163||7|
|9||%USERPROFILE%\??? ?????????\Downloads\8397022-[14 RANDOM CHARACTERS]. [3 RANDOM CHARACTERS]. [9 RANDOM CHARACTERS].doc.exe||1,614,336||29948b3441657f007831e1eba1bf88d9||6|
|10||%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\????? ?????\[4 RANDOM CHARACTERS] [5 RANDOM CHARACTERS].docx.exe||305,099||bac4daf1ba563a5fdd01691441cedc9b||6|
|12||%USERPROFILE%\??? ?????????\????????\8455755-[5 RANDOM CHARACTERS] [1 RANDOM CHARACTER]a[7 RANDOM CHARACTERS] [5 RANDOM CHARACTERS], [5 RANDOM CHARACTERS] [6 RANDOM CHARACTERS] [6 RANDOM CHARACTERS].doc.exe||1,536,512||c44f453fd29b7453e8d576445c18fe40||2|
|16||%UserProfile%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe||N/A|
- Acroware Cryptolocker Ransomware
- Cryptolocker 1.0.0 Ransomware
- CryptoLocker Portuguese Ransomware
- CryptoLockerEU Ransomware
- 'MNS CryptoLocker' Ransomware
This article is provided "as is" and to be used for educational information purposes only. By following any instructions on this article, you agree to be bound by the disclaimer. We make no guarantees that this article will help you completely remove the malware threats on your PC. Spyware changes regularly; therefore, it is difficult to fully clean an infected machine through manual means.