Squirrel Web Description
The Squirrel Web is classified as adware and is one of the many Potentially Unwanted Programs that are bundled with freeware programs downloaded from dubious download websites. The Squirrel Web may also be distributed using threat delivery methods such as fake updates for Flash Player or using drive-by download techniques. In many cases, some free programs may install the Squirrel Web without alerting you, often as a way of monetizing the free content. The main purpose of the Squirrel Web is to display coupons and deals whenever you visit an online retailer. The Squirrel Web is also designed to fill up your Web browser with all kinds of advertisements. Although this may sound superficial like a useful service, it is not. The Squirrel Web is extremely disruptive, may expose your computer to unsafe content. The Squirrel Web may also cause system performance issues and significantly slow down your Internet connectivity. Because of this, security researchers strongly recommend removing the Squirrel Web at once from an affected computer.
The Nuisance Caused by Advertisements Associated with the Squirrel Web
The main purpose of the Squirrel Web is to generate revenue at the cost of PC users. There are some paths in which marketers may use the Squirrel Web to generate revenue. These methods include the following:
- The Squirrel Web may generate advertisement revenue directly by displaying advertisements on the victim's Web browser. There are several types of advertisements that have been associated with the Squirrel Web, including pop-up advertisements, in-text affiliate marketing links and mouse-over advertisements.
- It is possible to surplus using computer users by taking over their Web browser and forcing it to visit websites associated with the Squirrel Web repeatedly. This practice is known as browser hijacking and is one of the most used tactics for generating revenue by forcing PC users to visit websites containing advertising material or promoting certain products repeatedly. It is also important to know that browser hijacking may be used to raise a website's page ranking and traffic numbers artificially, resulting in higher advertisement revenue and sponsorships.
- The Squirrel Web has been known to keep track of your activity online and to gather data about your computer. This information may be sold by the Squirrel Web to a third party that may use it for identity theft or other harmful actions.
Infected with Squirrel Web? Scan Your PCDownload SpyHunter's Spyware Scanner
to Detect Squirrel Web * SpyHunter's scanner is only for malware detection. If SpyHunter detects malware on your PC, you will need to purchase SpyHunter's malware removal tool to remove the malware threats. Read more on SpyHunter. If you no longer wish to have SpyHunter installed on your computer, follow these steps to uninstall SpyHunter.
Security Doesn't Let You Download SpyHunter or Access the Internet?
Solutions: Your computer may have malware hiding in memory that prevents any program, including SpyHunter, from executing on your computer. Follow to download SpyHunter and gain access to the Internet:
- Use an alternative browser. Malware may disable your browser. If you're using IE, for example, and having problems downloading SpyHunter, you should open Firefox, Chrome or Safari browser instead.
- Use a removable media. Download SpyHunter on another clean computer, burn it to a USB flash drive, DVD/CD, or any preferred removable media, then install it on your infected computer and run SpyHunter's malware scanner.
- Start Windows in Safe Mode. If you can not access your Window's desktop, reboot your computer in "Safe Mode with Networking" and install SpyHunter in Safe Mode.
- IE Users: Disable proxy server for Internet Explorer to browse the web with Internet Explorer or update your anti-spyware program. Malware modifies your Windows settings to use a proxy server to prevent you from browsing the web with IE.
If you still can't install SpyHunter? View other possible causes of installation issues.
File System Details
|#||File Name||Detection Count|
|5||%UserProfile%\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Extensions\gdnafjfahbdfphihncgadbegiaebehio||13|
|7||%UserProfile%\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Local Extension Settings\gdnafjfahbdfphihncgadbegiaebehio||11|
|8||%LocalAppData%\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Local Extension Settings\gdnafjfahbdfphihncgadbegiaebehio||10|