The Smominru crypto miner is a threat that has been around for a while. Malware experts managed to hold back the campaign by configuring a bait & sinkhole server that kept a significant fraction of Smominru's network busy on a loop, therefore preventing it from going after valid targets. However, since this happened, the authors of the Smominru threat have been introducing significant improvements.
The actors responsible for the Smominru crypto mining campaign have added several new features:
- Collecting logging credentials is done via a modified variant of the Mimikatz malware.
- The EternalBlue exploit is used to propagate the payload of the threat.
- Several payloads contain a RAT (Remote Access Trojan) feature.
Selling Access to Compromised Networks
To garner more revenue, the authors of the Smominru crypto mining campaign are selling access to the networks they have managed to infiltrate. This whole business operation is set up on the Dark Web where other ill-minded actors can purchase access to various compromised networks at varying prices, according to the value of the network. This means that these infiltrated networks will be at the mercy of cyber crooks and will likely be infected with various malware types in the pursuit of cash.
Collected Over $3,000,000
Malware researchers believe that the creators of the Smominru malware have generated over 500,000 compromised systems on their network. What makes the Smominru threat even more threatening is the fact that it can self-propagate, which means that the 500,000 number may pale in comparison to what may come in as a report in the future. This cryptocurrency mining campaign appears to be very successful as it seems to have generated over $3,000,000.
Despite all the efforts of malware experts to battle threats like the Smominru malware, cybercriminals who are high-skilled will always find loopholes and continue to evolve their creations. This is why it is crucial to obtain a reputable anti-malware tool, which will keep your computer safe from such vicious threats.
Do You Suspect Your PC May Be Infected with Smominru & Other Threats? Scan Your PC with SpyHunterSpyHunter is a powerful malware remediation and protection tool designed to help provide PC users with in-depth system security analysis, detection and removal of a wide range of threats like Smominru as well as a one-on-one tech support service. Download SpyHunter's FREE Malware Remover
Security Doesn't Let You Download SpyHunter or Access the Internet?Solutions: Your computer may have malware hiding in memory that prevents any program, including SpyHunter, from executing on your computer. Follow to download SpyHunter and gain access to the Internet:
- Use an alternative browser. Malware may disable your browser. If you're using IE, for example, and having problems downloading SpyHunter, you should open Firefox, Chrome or Safari browser instead.
- Use a removable media. Download SpyHunter on another clean computer, burn it to a USB flash drive, DVD/CD, or any preferred removable media, then install it on your infected computer and run SpyHunter's malware scanner.
- Start Windows in Safe Mode. If you can not access your Window's desktop, reboot your computer in "Safe Mode with Networking" and install SpyHunter in Safe Mode.
- IE Users: Disable proxy server for Internet Explorer to browse the web with Internet Explorer or update your anti-spyware program. Malware modifies your Windows settings to use a proxy server to prevent you from browsing the web with IE.
This article is provided "as is" and to be used for educational information purposes only. By following any instructions on this article, you agree to be bound by the disclaimer. We make no guarantees that this article will help you completely remove the malware threats on your PC. Spyware changes regularly; therefore, it is difficult to fully clean an infected machine through manual means.