'800-531-5000' Scam Description
The '800-531-5000' scam is a tactic, which is running rampant in the United States. The individuals with questionable morals responsible for this tactic use a variety of social engineering techniques to trick the users into trusting them. They tell users that they have won a promotion for the DirecTV service. This means that they get once chance to subscribe for the service as a significantly lower price. It is crucial to note that the DirecTV service is legitimate and has nothing to do with the con artists behind the '800-531-5000' scam. To cover up any potential tracks, these shady individuals may require the payment to be completed with an iTunes Gift Card, Amazon Gift Card, and other similar alternative means. This should raise a red flag as no legitimate companies would require payment in the shape of gift cards immediately.
Researchers have not yet determined whether the '800-531-5000' phone number is one of the legitimate contacts for the DirecTV, which the fraudsters may have hijacked, or it is a completely unrelated phone number, which belongs to the creators of the tactic. The fact that these people use such an aggressive marketing technique should, similarly to the required payment method, raise a red flag.
The dodgy actors behind the '800-531-5000' scam are known to use various methods to convince users to pay up. Some of them include raffles, free trials, etc. Users have reported having been offered:
- New offers on TV and Internet, including a lowered bill, if the user pays them $360 in the shape of an Amazon Gift Card
- To pay $900 as an Amazon Gift Card, which would grant them only to pay $37.50 monthly DirecTV bill.
- To share all their credit card details (expiration date, number, and even CVV) with the con artists to 'verify' it.
There are two more phone numbers, which appear to be associated with the same fraudsters so that be very careful if you are being contacted by them - 800-880-9064 and 888-302-5632. It is likely that con artists behind the '800-531-5000' scam have more tricks in their bag so be ever vigilant when you are being offered new deals and subscriptions.
Do You Suspect Your PC May Be Infected with '800-531-5000' Scam & Other Threats? Scan Your PC with SpyHunterSpyHunter is a powerful malware remediation and protection tool designed to help provide PC users with in-depth system security analysis, detection and removal of a wide range of threats like '800-531-5000' Scam as well as a one-on-one tech support service. Download SpyHunter's FREE Malware Remover
Security Doesn't Let You Download SpyHunter or Access the Internet?Solutions: Your computer may have malware hiding in memory that prevents any program, including SpyHunter, from executing on your computer. Follow to download SpyHunter and gain access to the Internet:
- Use an alternative browser. Malware may disable your browser. If you're using IE, for example, and having problems downloading SpyHunter, you should open Firefox, Chrome or Safari browser instead.
- Use a removable media. Download SpyHunter on another clean computer, burn it to a USB flash drive, DVD/CD, or any preferred removable media, then install it on your infected computer and run SpyHunter's malware scanner.
- Start Windows in Safe Mode. If you can not access your Window's desktop, reboot your computer in "Safe Mode with Networking" and install SpyHunter in Safe Mode.
- IE Users: Disable proxy server for Internet Explorer to browse the web with Internet Explorer or update your anti-spyware program. Malware modifies your Windows settings to use a proxy server to prevent you from browsing the web with IE.
This article is provided "as is" and to be used for educational information purposes only. By following any instructions on this article, you agree to be bound by the disclaimer. We make no guarantees that this article will help you completely remove the malware threats on your PC. Spyware changes regularly; therefore, it is difficult to fully clean an infected machine through manual means.