Zepto Ransomware Description
The Zepto Ransomware is a variant of the Trojan Locky Ransomware. The Zepto Ransomware is designed to infect all versions of the Windows operating system, from Windows XP all the way to Windows 10. Ransomware Trojans like the Zepto Ransomware are especially threatening because, even if removed, the victim's files will still be inaccessible. Essentially, the Zepto Ransomware takes the victim's files hostage, encrypting them and demanding the payment of a ransom to decrypt them. Since the files encrypted by the Zepto Ransomware are impossible to recover without access to the decryption key, PC security analysts advise that computer users take immediate preventive measures to avoid becoming victims of this and similar ransomware Trojan attacks.
The Files Encrypted by the Zepto Ransomware may be Lost Forever
When the Zepto Ransomware is installed on the victim's computer, it scans the victim's files and encrypts them using a strong encryption algorithm. The Zepto Ransomware changes the files' extensions to '.the Zepto' to identify the files that have been encrypted. Once a file is encrypted by the Zepto Ransomware it becomes inaccessible. After encrypting the victim's files, the Zepto Ransomware delivers a ransom note instructing the victim on what to do next. Unfortunately, computer users will have little choices left after the Zepto Ransomware has encrypted the files on the affected computer. The following are examples of files that are targeted by the Zepto Ransomware and similar threats:
.123 | .3dm | .3ds | .3g2 | .3gp | .602 | .aes | .ARC | .asc | .asf | .asm | .asp | .avi | .bak | .bat | .bmp | .brd | .cgm | .cmd | .cpp | .crt | .csr | .CSV | .dbf | .dch | .dif | .dip | .djv | .djvu | .DOC | .docb | .docm | .docx | .DOT | .dotm | .dotx | .fla | .flv | .frm | .gif | .gpg | .hwp | .ibd | .jar | .java | .jpeg | .jpg | .key | .lay | .lay6 | .ldf | .m3u | .m4u | .max | .mdb | .mdf | .mid | .mkv | .mov | .mp3 | .mp4 | .mpeg | .mpg | .ms11 | .MYD | .MYI | .NEF | .odb | .odg | .odp | .ods | .odt | .otg | .otp | .ots | .ott | .p12 | .PAQ | .pas | .pdf | .pem | .php | .png | .pot | .potm | .potx | .ppam | .pps | .ppsm | .ppsx | .PPT | .pptm | .pptx | .psd | .rar | .raw | .RTF | .sch | .sldm | .sldx | .slk | .stc | .std | .sti | .stw | .svg | .swf | .sxc | .sxd | .sxi | .sxm | .sxw | .tar | .tbk | .tgz | .tif | .tiff | .txt | .uop | .uot | .vbs | .vdi | .vmdk | .vmx | .vob | .wav | .wb2 | .wk1 | .wks | .wma | .wmv | .xlc | .xlm | .XLS | .xlsb | .xlsm | .xlsx | .xlt | .xltm | .xltx | .xlw | .zip.
Dealing with the Zepto Ransomware and Similar Threats
As mentioned before, the best method is prevention. The following are steps computer users can take to avoid becoming victims of the Zepto Ransomware attack and similar ransomware Trojans:
- Back up all files regularly on an off-site location. The Zepto Ransomware and similar attacks rely on taking the computer users' files hostage, making them inaccessible until the victim pays for the decryption key. If the victim is able to recover the files from a back-up, then the Zepto Ransomware attack becomes completely ineffective.
- Use a strong anti-malware program that is fully up-to-date to detect the Zepto Ransomware before it is installed on your computer. If your anti-malware software is running at all times and is appropriately reliable, it will be able to intercept the Zepto Ransomware and similar threats before they can carry out their attacks on your computer.
- Avoid opening unsolicited email attachments and embedded links. Threats like the Zepto Ransomware may be distributed using corrupted email attachments and links. If computer users learn to spot and prevent these tactics, it will reduce the chances of becoming infected with one of these threats greatly.
Infected with Zepto Ransomware? Scan Your PC for FreeDownload SpyHunter’s Spyware Scanner
to Detect Zepto Ransomware * SpyHunter's free version is only for malware detection. If SpyHunter detects malware on your PC, you will need to purchase SpyHunter's malware removal tool to remove the malware threats. Read more on SpyHunter. If you no longer wish to have SpyHunter installed on your computer, follow these steps to uninstall SpyHunter.
Security Doesn't Let You Download SpyHunter or Access the Internet?
Solutions: Your computer may have malware hiding in memory that prevents any program, including SpyHunter, from executing on your computer. Follow to download SpyHunter and gain access to the Internet:
- Use an alternative browser. Malware may disable your browser. If you're using IE, for example, and having problems downloading SpyHunter, you should open Firefox, Chrome or Safari browser instead.
- Use a removable media. Download SpyHunter on another clean computer, burn it to a USB flash drive, DVD/CD, or any preferred removable media, then install it on your infected computer and run SpyHunter's malware scanner.
- Start Windows in Safe Mode. If you can not access your Window's desktop, reboot your computer in "Safe Mode with Networking" and install SpyHunter in Safe Mode.
- IE Users: Disable proxy server for Internet Explorer to browse the web with Internet Explorer or update your anti-spyware program. Malware modifies your Windows settings to use a proxy server to prevent you from browsing the web with IE.
If you still can't install SpyHunter? View other possible causes of installation issues.
File System Details
|#||File Name||Size||MD5||Detection Count|