Windows XP Fix Description
Windows XP Fix is a harmful rogue defragmentation application and belongs to an extensive family of rogue security programs, the FakeSysDef family. Windows XP Fix pretends to be a disk defragmentation and computer optimization tool, but is really an application designed to trick you solely into buying Windows XP Fix's licensed version. Bogus programs like Windows XP Fix do not show its true intentions until it's too late and they are able to regenerate themselves if not completely removed from a compromised machine. Remember to ignore all claims and notifications issued by Windows XP Fix and never give Windows XP Fix your credit card information.
Among the many other bogus defragmenters and fake anti-spyware programs, all clones of Windows XP Fix, are WindowsTool, Rogue.Windows Fix, Rogue.System Check, Disk Doctor, HDD Rescue, Windows Fix Disk, Hard Drive Diagnostic, Windows Diagnostic, Win Defrag, Rogue.Windows Vista System Repair, HDD OK, HDD Plus, HDD Low, Windows Recovery, Rogue.Windows Startup Repair, Memory Fixer, Windows Recovery Series, Rogue.File Integrity Checker, Windows Restore, Windows XP Repair, HDD Fix, HDD Repair, Windows Disk, PUP.PC Health Kit, Defragmenter, Windows Security & Control, HDD Tools, Windows System Optimizator, Windows Safemode, Rogue.File Recovery, Windows Repairing System, My Disk, Win Disk, Rogue.Master Utilities, Windows 7 Repair, Ultra Defragger, Rogue.System Recovery, Disk Repair, Rogue.Windows Error Recovery, Fast Disk, Rogue.File Restore, Smart Data Recovery, Good Memory, Rogue.Windows XP System Repair, HDD Diagnostic, Smart Defragmenter, Win HDD, System Defragmenter, Disk OK, WinScan, Windows XP Restore, PC Cleaner Pro 2012, Memory Optimizer, Smart HDD, Rogue.PC Repair, Disk Recovery, Scanner, Windows Optimization Center, Computer Fix, Disk Optimizer, System Repair, Rogue.Data Recovery, HDD Control, Windows Scan, Windows XP Recovery, Data Repair, Windows Repair.
How Windows XP Fix Infects Your Computer
Windows XP Fix is typically installed by a Trojan (e.g. the Zlob Trojan). Trojans associated with Windows XP Fix are usually installed without the computer user's knowledge. Here are some common ways in which Trojans can be downloaded and installed on a PC:
- Trojans are often disguised as other files. Typically, Trojans may be disguised as popular downloadable programs on file-sharing networks, video codecs for viewing adult videos or pirated streaming movies, or system updates from a third-party website.
- A dangerous website can have a malicious script embedded in its web pages that forces and secretly downloads Trojan files onto a person's computer.
The Windows XP Fix Bogus Interface
Once Windows XP Fix is installed, the Trojan makes changes to the Windows Registry. This allows Windows XP Fix to start up automatically when you log into your system. When the computer user looks at their Desktop, he/she will be greeted by the Windows XP Fix main screen. This interface has three parts:
- On the top section, there is a horizontal list of options, including a very convincing "Help & Support" button.
- The main section of the window includes different options; there's a red exclamation mark beside three or four of these options (indicating a supposed problem in the user's computer).
- On the right side, there will be three different modules. The bottom module will have the "Advanced Module" disabled. To enable the "Advanced Module", the computer user would have to enter his/her credit card information. Conveniently enough, all the imaginary errors require the use of the "Advanced Module."
All of the convincing options, scans, and modules are there to convince further the victim the scam is legitimate. Windows XP Fix's interface is only a feeble attempt to imitate reputable Windows defragmentation tools. Regardless of your hard disk's state, the results of any scan will always be exaggerated and riddled with falsehoods. The real infection on your computer is Windows XP Fix. Remove Windows XP Fix with a strong malware/rootkit removal utility.
Infected with Windows XP Fix? Scan Your PC for FreeDownload SpyHunter’s Spyware Scanner
to Detect Windows XP Fix
Security Doesn't Let You Download SpyHunter or Access the Internet?
Solutions: Your computer may have malware hiding in memory that prevents any program, including SpyHunter, from executing on your computer. Follow to download SpyHunter and gain access to the Internet:
- Use an alternative browser. Malware may disable your browser. If you're using IE, for example, and having problems downloading SpyHunter, you should open Firefox, Chrome or Safari browser instead.
- Use a removable media. Download SpyHunter on another clean computer, burn it to a USB flash drive, DVD/CD, or any preferred removable media, then install it on your infected computer and run SpyHunter's malware scanner.
- Start Windows in Safe Mode. If you can not access your Window's desktop, reboot your computer in "Safe Mode with Networking" and install SpyHunter in Safe Mode.
- IE Users: Disable proxy server for Internet Explorer to browse the web with Internet Explorer or update your anti-spyware program. Malware modifies your Windows settings to use a proxy server to prevent you from browsing the web with IE.
If you still can't install SpyHunter? View other possible causes of installation issues.
Screenshots & Other Imagery
File System Details
|#||File Name||Detection Count|
|1||Uninstall Windows XP Fix.lnk||21|
|2||%USERPROFILE%\Start Menu\Programs\Windows XP Fix||20|
|4||%StartMenu%\Programs\Windows XP Fix\Uninstall Windows XP Fix.lnk||N/A|
|5||%StartMenu%\Programs\Windows XP Fix\||N/A|
|7||%StartMenu%\Programs\Windows XP Fix\Windows XP Fix.lnk||N/A|
More Details on Windows XP Fix
A critical error has occurred while indexing data stored on hard drive. System restart required.
Hard drive critical error. Run a system diagnostic utility to check your hard disk drive for errors. Windows can't find hard disk space. Hard drive error.
Hard Drive not found. Missing hard drive.
RAM memory usage is critically high. RAM memory failure.
Damaged hard drive clusters detected. Private data is at risk.
Windows was unable to save all the data for the file \System32\496A8300. The data has been lost. This error may be caused by a failure of your computer hardware.
Windows XP Fix Diagnostics will scan the system to identify performance problems.
Start or Cancel
|Hard Drive Failure|
The system has detected a problem with one or more installed IDE / SATA hard disks. It is recommended that you restart the system.
|Low Disk Space|
You are running very low disk space on Local Disk (C:).
An error occurred while reading system files. Run a system diagnostic utility to check your hard disk drive for errors.
The system has been restored after a critical error. Data integrity and hard drive integrity verification required.
|Windows - No Disk|
Exception Processing Message 0x0000013
|Windows XP Fix Diagnostics|
Windows detected a hard disk error.
A problem with the hard drive sectors has been detected. It is recommended to download the following sertified software to fix the detected hard drive problems. Do you want to download recommended software?