SearchNewTab is a low quality search engine that is part of a known advertising practice. A common tactic is pairing low quality search engines like SearchNewTab with Potentially Unwanted Programs in order to profit at the expense of computer users. Most PUPs have three functions, although most conform mainly to one of the three: browser hijacking, spyware and adware. SearchNewTab and low quality search engines like this one may use these three types of PUPs for different objectives, using a browser hijacker to force computer users to visit SearchNewTab, adware to exhibit various advertisements on the compromised Web browser and spyware to gather information about the victim's computer and browsing habits for market research and for sale to a third party. SearchNewTab may also refer to the actual PUP related to this low quality search engine. SearchNewTab may take the form of an unwanted Web browser toolbar that carries out the PUP functions mentioned above.
Why You Should Remove SearchNewTab from Your Computer
As a PUP, SearchNewTab may cause a wide variety of problems on affected computers. If you observe that your computer is presenting common symptoms linked to SearchNewTab, this usually means that it has become infected with a PUP which should be removed at once. Common issues to be on guard for include the following:
- PUPs associated with SearchNewTab may hijack the affected Web browser, forcing it to visit certain websites repeatedly in order to raise their page ranking and profit from affiliate marketing and advertising.
- SearchNewTab may cause the appearance of unwanted advertisements on the affected Web browser. SearchNewTab also may replace the advertisements on legitimate websites viewed on the affected Web browsers, inserting its own irritating audio or video advertisements as well as a variety of other types of marketing material.
- SearchNewTab may spy on your online activity, keep track of your online habits and gather information about your Web browser settings. This data may be used to deliver additional advertisements to your Web browser or sold to a third party that could potentially use it to accomplish illicit intent.
Infected with SearchNewTab? Scan Your PC for FreeDownload SpyHunter’s Spyware Scanner
to Detect SearchNewTab
Security Doesn't Let You Download SpyHunter or Access the Internet?
Solutions: Your computer may have malware hiding in memory that prevents any program, including SpyHunter, from executing on your computer. Follow to download SpyHunter and gain access to the Internet:
- Use an alternative browser. Malware may disable your browser. If you're using IE, for example, and having problems downloading SpyHunter, you should open Firefox, Chrome or Safari browser instead.
- Use a removable media. Download SpyHunter on another clean computer, burn it to a USB flash drive, DVD/CD, or any preferred removable media, then install it on your infected computer and run SpyHunter's malware scanner.
- Start Windows in Safe Mode. If you can not access your Window's desktop, reboot your computer in 'Safe Mode with Networking' and install SpyHunter in Safe Mode.
- IE Users: Disable proxy server for Internet Explorer to browse the web with Internet Explorer or update your anti-spyware program. Malware modifies your Windows settings to use a proxy server to prevent you from browsing the web with IE.
If you still can't install SpyHunter? View other possible causes of installation issues.
File System Details
|7||C:\Documents and Settings\user\Application data\search-newtab|
More Details on SearchNewTab