Security Scanner Description
According to ESG Security researchers, Security Scanner is a fake antispyware application with no spyware removal capabilities. While this program’s interface is highly convincing, there are a few slight grammatical errors and inconsistencies (such as its motto, ‘protect your PC on [sic] new level’) that betray this rogue security program’s origins. Security Scanner is part of a well-known online scam, which usually starts with a Trojan infection that leads to an attempt to steal inexperienced computer users’ money. Security Scanner is a duplicate of the counterfeit security programs that include Security Tool, Security Shield and Security Shield 2011.
ESG malware analysts recommend being proactive in order to prevent a Security Scanner infection by learning to recognize these kinds of fake security programs for what they are. If your machine is already infected with Security Scanner, you may find that you are bombarded with constant error messages and fake security alerts. Security Scanner should be removed with a reliable anti-malware application obtained from a reputable source. You should not pay for a useless ‘full version’ of Security Scanner under any circumstances and, if you have, you may still being capable to contact your credit card provider in order to have the charges waived and reported as fraudulent.
Recognizing Rogue Security Programs Like Security Scanner
Modern malware can be quite complex, and criminals go to great lengths to make their fake security software as authentic as possible. This is because it is much easier to trick computer users into downloading malware themselves than it is to create malware designed to use brute force to overcome a computer system’s defenses against intruders. However, there are several characteristics of rogue anti-spyware applications like Security Scanner that can allow even relatively inexperienced computer users to recognize them for what they are:
- Security Scanner enters your computer system without your authorization or will download after aggressively pestering you with pop-up windows and error messages urging you that your computer is severely infected.
- Security Scanner will claim that your computer is severely infected but will be vague as to the details. It will also be completely ineffective at removing the supposed problems, instead prompting you to purchase a ‘full version’. Rogue security programs tend to constantly direct their victims to a website where the victim’s credit card information is requested.
- Security Scanner will not allow you to remove it easily from your computer system; Security Scanner will crash whenever the computer user attempts to uninstall Security Scanner. Ultimately, a legitimate anti-malware application is necessary to remove Security Scanner from an infected computer.
Type: Rogue AntiSpyware Programs
Are You Unable to Open Programs or Surf the Internet?
Your computer may have Security Scanner hiding in memory. Security Scanner prevents programs from executing on your computer and blocks access to the Internet. Try these two methods to download and install SpyHunter to detect and remove Security Scanner:
- Wait fo Security Scanner to finish running it’s fake scanner. Then, click the ‘Remove’ button, select ‘Yes, activate Security Scanner’ and Security Scanner’s purchase web page will appear.
- On Security Scanner’s purchase page, click anywhere to select the Security Scanner’s purchase page, press Ctrl+N and a new page will open. This method will allow you to access the Internet and download SpyHunter’s spyware scanner.
- Download SpyHunter on another clean computer, burn it to a USB flash drive, DVD/CD, or any preferred removable media.
- Transfer the copy of SpyHunter to the Security Scanner infection and install and run SpyHunter’s spyware scanner.
How Can You Detect Security Scanner?
Security Scanner Technical Report
As new Security Scanner details are reported by our customers and findings from our Threat Research Center, we will update this section.
Fake message for Security Scanner:
The following fake error message(s) appears for Security Scanner:
Security Scanner Warning
Harmful software have been detected at your PC.
Click here to deactivate it.
Security Scanner Warning
Spyware.IEMonster process is found. This is virus that is trying to send your passwords from Internet browser (Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Outlook & others) for the third-parties.
Click here to protect your data with Security Scanner.
Security Scanner Warning
Security Scanner has found viruses at your system.We highly recommend to get license for Security Scanner to remove harmful software now.
winword.exe is infected with Backdoor:Win32/Samsteal.A.dr.
Do you want to register your copy and remove all threats now?
Warning message from Internet browser. This page under virus attack. This may crash your system.
This may be caused by:
- Virus content founded at this site trying to install its components.
- Malicious & unknown network processes are determined.
- Your system is under virus attack.
- Negative references from other citizens concerning this web page.
- Your system ports and backdoors have been checked by visited page for external access.
- Obtain a license of “Security Scanner” to protect your PC for the safest browsing Internet pages (desirable)
- Launch spyware, virus and malware scanning process.
- Keep browsing
Security Scanner Removal Details
Security Scanner has typically the following processes in memory:
- %LocalAppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
Security Scanner creates the following registry entries:
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce “[RANDOM CHARACTERS]“