PUP.InstallBrain DescriptionInstallBrain is promoted as an updater service and is developed by PerformerSoft LLC. InstallBrain is a Potentially Unwanted Program. PUPs like InstallBrain are used by software developers and distributors or third party marketers to increase their profits and monetize free software. InstallBrain runs in the background as a Windows Service. InstallBrain is a download manager, a common way of distributing PUPs.
How InstallBrain and Its Components Work
InstallBrain, described as an updater service, has four variants, signed either by Performersoft LLC or by WhiteSmoke Inc, both of which are entities that have been linked to other PUPs. As soon as InstallBrain is installed, InstallBrain will attempt to connect to various URLs in order to retrieve advertisement information that InstallBrain then displays on affected Web browsers. The most typical release of InstallBrain is 188.8.131.52, which accounts for nearly all of the versions that have been reported by affected computer users. As soon as InstallBrain is installed, InstallBrain creates a Windows Service that runs without stopping in the background as soon as the computer user starts up Windows. Manually stopping this service may make the program crash.
In most cases, InstallBrain does not deliver a valuable service, and most computer users remove InstallBrain and its associated software nearly immediately. There are several reasons why InstallBrain should be removed. InstallBrain may be associated with threats, despite not being threatening itself. InstallBrain is classified as a PUP that may cause unwanted symptoms on affected computers and expose computer users to unwanted advertising material. InstallBrain installs a Windows Service automatically, running in the background constantly and consuming system resources. InstallBrain is distributed by third parties who take advantage of payment schemes where they are paid according to the number of people that install InstallBrain on their computers.
Removing InstallBrain from an Affected Computer
Most computer users do not install InstallBrain on purpose. This is because InstallBrain may be bundled with third party software, which uses misleading tactics to trick inexperienced computer users into installing InstallBrain. This is a common tactic of most PUPs. It is simpler to remove InstallBrain using a reliable, fully updated security program capable of dealing with PUPs. However, manual removal of InstallBrain also is not too complicated and requires the following steps:
- Computer users can uninstall InstallBrain by using the Add/Remove Program feature that is available in Windows (through the Control Panel). Uninstalling InstallBrain using this method should be a straightforward process, simply following the Windows prompts. In some cases, InstallBrain will not be able to be uninstalled through this method. In these cases, Microsoft's utility for dealing with software that cannot be uninstalled has been proven to help.
- Once InstallBrain has been removed, it is recommended to perform a full scan of the affected computer to ensure that no threat is present. Although not threatening, PUPs like InstallBrain may be associated with threats indirectly or may be installed along with numerous other PUPs. Since many threat infections run silently in the background and do not cause any symptoms, computer users should take actions to assure that they have not compromised their computer as a result of the presence of InstallBrain.
- InstallBrain may make changes to Web browser and computer settings. These changes may not be reverted by security software. Because of this, malware researchers recommend inspecting the Web browser and PC settings and changing them to their defaults or to their desired settings manually after InstallBrain has been uninstalled.
Infected with PUP.InstallBrain? Scan Your PC for FreeDownload SpyHunter’s Spyware Scanner
to Detect PUP.InstallBrain
Security Doesn't Let You Download SpyHunter or Access the Internet?
Solutions: Your computer may have malware hiding in memory that prevents any program, including SpyHunter, from executing on your computer. Follow to download SpyHunter and gain access to the Internet:
- Use an alternative browser. Malware may disable your browser. If you're using IE, for example, and having problems downloading SpyHunter, you should open Firefox, Chrome or Safari browser instead.
- Use a removable media. Download SpyHunter on another clean computer, burn it to a USB flash drive, DVD/CD, or any preferred removable media, then install it on your infected computer and run SpyHunter's malware scanner.
- Start Windows in Safe Mode. If you can not access your Window's desktop, reboot your computer in 'Safe Mode with Networking' and install SpyHunter in Safe Mode.
- IE Users: Disable proxy server for Internet Explorer to browse the web with Internet Explorer or update your anti-spyware program. Malware modifies your Windows settings to use a proxy server to prevent you from browsing the web with IE.
If you still can't install SpyHunter? View other possible causes of installation issues.
File System Details
PUP.InstallBrain creates the following file(s):
|1||C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\IBUpdaterService\ibsvc.exe|