The Glupteba Trojan is a threat that has been known to malware researchers for a while. In previous campaigns, it appeared that the main purpose of the Glupteba Trojan is to infect as many devices it can and use them to build a botnet. Usually, botnets are used for crypto mining operations, DDoS (Distributed-Denial-of-Service) attacks, and to be rented out as a service to other shady actors online. However, the Glupteba Trojan has recently made a comeback, and its activity appears to be spiking. The Glupteba malware has returned in the shape of a Trojan dropper, which can not only serve as a gateway for more threats to be planted on the host but also can allow its operators to get almost complete control over the infected machine.
The latest Glupteba variant is propagated via a malvertising campaign that is likely to reach users in multiple parts of the world. Furthermore, the Glupteba Trojan's payload packs a heavily obfuscated dropper that is meant to deliver additional malware - an information collector, and a weaponized exploit that targets a vulnerability in MikroTik routers.
The Glupteba Trojan has a dropper module, which is used to deliver the MikroTik router exploit, as well as the info stealer. The Glupteba Trojan dropper module is written in Google's Go programming language and has the ability to detect whether it is being run in a sandbox environment or a regular system. Its code is heavily obfuscated to make it nearly impossible for anti-malware tools to detect its activity. The Glupteba dropper module also makes sure to tamper with the Windows Firewall and the Windows Defender and thus manages to bypass their security measures.
The Glupteba Trojan's backdoor module packs a wide variety of capabilities. This backdoor module can:
- Execute a Monero cryptocurrency miner module.
- Download files.
- Execute files.
- Collect files.
- Modify the Registry.
- Update its server.
- List processes.
The info stealer module of the Glupteba Dropper can collect saved login credentials from Web browsers like Google Chrome, Yandex Web and Opera. Furthermore, this module can also siphon other sensitive data to the C&C (Command & Control) servers of the attackers such as user profiles, cookies and browsing history.
It is fundamental to download and install a legitimate anti-virus software suite to keep your system safe from nasty threats like the Glupteba malware.
Do You Suspect Your PC May Be Infected with Glupteba & Other Threats? Scan Your PC with SpyHunterSpyHunter is a powerful malware remediation and protection tool designed to help provide PC users with in-depth system security analysis, detection and removal of a wide range of threats like Glupteba as well as a one-on-one tech support service. Download SpyHunter's FREE Malware Remover
Security Doesn't Let You Download SpyHunter or Access the Internet?Solutions: Your computer may have malware hiding in memory that prevents any program, including SpyHunter, from executing on your computer. Follow to download SpyHunter and gain access to the Internet:
- Use an alternative browser. Malware may disable your browser. If you're using IE, for example, and having problems downloading SpyHunter, you should open Firefox, Chrome or Safari browser instead.
- Use a removable media. Download SpyHunter on another clean computer, burn it to a USB flash drive, DVD/CD, or any preferred removable media, then install it on your infected computer and run SpyHunter's malware scanner.
- Start Windows in Safe Mode. If you can not access your Window's desktop, reboot your computer in "Safe Mode with Networking" and install SpyHunter in Safe Mode.
- IE Users: Disable proxy server for Internet Explorer to browse the web with Internet Explorer or update your anti-spyware program. Malware modifies your Windows settings to use a proxy server to prevent you from browsing the web with IE.
This article is provided "as is" and to be used for educational information purposes only. By following any instructions on this article, you agree to be bound by the disclaimer. We make no guarantees that this article will help you completely remove the malware threats on your PC. Spyware changes regularly; therefore, it is difficult to fully clean an infected machine through manual means.