Reveton, also detected as Trojan:Win32/Reveton.A is a malicious Trojan that hijacks the victim's web browser in order to direct the infected computer to specific websites. The Reveton Trojan modifies the Windows Registry that allows Reveton to launch automatically when Windows starts up. Reveton will be disguised as a legitimate file process, making Reveton difficult to remove. Because Reveton makes dangerous changes that must be undone, ESG malware analysts discourage manual removal when dealing with this threat. Instead, Reveton should be removed with a strong anti-malware tool. Since the Reveton Trojan will usually be part of a larger malware attack on your computer, it is also a good idea to scan the infected computer's hard drives with an updated anti-malware scanner.
Why Criminals Use the Reveton Trojan to Control Your Online Activity
The main component of a Reveton Trojan attack involves forcing the victim's computer to visit malicious websites. Other symptoms may be present due to the effects of other malware components associated with the Reveton Trojan. ESG malware analysts have compiled the following list of common symptoms associated with Reveton Trojan activity in order to allow computer users to detect the presence of this threat on their computers:
- The Reveton Trojan has been associated with browser redirects taking computer users to attack websites, phishing websites or websites promoting known scams (such as rogue security programs). Phishing websites and attack websites may not be immediately apparent, so caution should be taken whenever your web browser forces you to visit a website without your authorization.
- The Reveton Trojan has also been known to block websites dealing with computer security or promoting legitimate anti-virus products. Whenever the victim tries to visit these websites, they will be greeted with an error message claiming that these websites are infected with malware. In some cases, the Reveton Trojan will simply direct the victim to another web page.
- Malware like the Reveton Trojan seldom plays well with other applications and will often hog your computer's resources. Because of this, a common symptom of a Reveton Trojan infection is poor system performance, frequent system and application crashes, and poor connection speed.
ESG malware analysts have observed that the Reveton Trojan has been present along with rootkit infections as well as with known ransomware attacks. It has also been used to distribute rogue security software from the FakeVimes and VirusDoctor families of malware.
Infected with Reveton? Scan Your PC for FreeDownload SpyHunter’s Spyware Scanner
to Detect Reveton * SpyHunter's free version is only for malware detection. If SpyHunter detects malware on your PC, you will need to purchase SpyHunter's malware removal tool to remove the malware threats. Read more on SpyHunter. If you no longer wish to have SpyHunter installed on your computer, follow these steps to uninstall SpyHunter.
Security Doesn't Let You Download SpyHunter or Access the Internet?
Solutions: Your computer may have malware hiding in memory that prevents any program, including SpyHunter, from executing on your computer. Follow to download SpyHunter and gain access to the Internet:
- Use an alternative browser. Malware may disable your browser. If you're using IE, for example, and having problems downloading SpyHunter, you should open Firefox, Chrome or Safari browser instead.
- Use a removable media. Download SpyHunter on another clean computer, burn it to a USB flash drive, DVD/CD, or any preferred removable media, then install it on your infected computer and run SpyHunter's malware scanner.
- Start Windows in Safe Mode. If you can not access your Window's desktop, reboot your computer in "Safe Mode with Networking" and install SpyHunter in Safe Mode.
- IE Users: Disable proxy server for Internet Explorer to browse the web with Internet Explorer or update your anti-spyware program. Malware modifies your Windows settings to use a proxy server to prevent you from browsing the web with IE.
If you still can't install SpyHunter? View other possible causes of installation issues.